A bus driver has died following a crash while they were transporting students home from a school in Northern Ireland. The vehicle was carrying 40 students from St Paul’s High School in Bessbrook, County Armagh, when it overturned on a country road on Tuesday, Feb. 17, according to the BBC, The Irish News and U.K. newspaper Metro.
In a statement obtained, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) confirmed that a single vehicle crash had occurred on Tullyagh Road, which is around 38 miles south of the capital Belfast.
“Police received a report of a single vehicle road traffic collision on the Tullyagh Road, Belleeks, on Tuesday afternoon, 17th February,” authorities said. “The driver of the vehicle sadly passed away at the scene.”
Police added, “No other injuries have been reported at this time. The road was closed for a period of time but has since re-opened.”
The driver’s death is being treated as a “sudden death,” police told the BBC and Metro. The bus had been traveling to Whitecross after collecting students from school, according to the BBC. Five ambulances, two paramedics and an ambulance doctor attended the scene to treat patients, according to the BBC.
Photos of the scene obtained by the outlet and multiple others showed the bus lying on its side. The students were safely evacuated from the vehicle, per Metro. None of them were seriously injured, according to The Irish News.
In a post on Facebook, Quinn Coaches paid tribute to their late driver.
“We are deeply saddened to confirm that one of our drivers was involved in a road traffic accident whilst transporting school children today,” they wrote. “Despite immediate emergency response, our dear colleague sadly passed away.”
They added, “He was a respected and experienced member of our team, and he will be greatly missed.”
“We are relieved to confirm that no children were injured during the incident. The safety and wellbeing of our drivers and passengers is always our highest priority,” the company continued.
Principal of St Paul’s High, Dáithí Murray, also shared a statement following the incident. “We have ascertained that all pupils are safe and have been collected by their parents,” Murray said, per The Irish News.
“We appreciate that this will have caused a significant shock to pupils who experienced the incident,” he continued. “The school has sought advice and guidance from the Education Authority’s Critical Incident Response Team and personnel from this team will be available to support pupils affected by the incident tomorrow.” “I would encourage pupils, if they feel well enough, to attend school tomorrow where staff will signpost them to the support services available.”
He added: “The thoughts and prayers of the St Paul’s community are extended to everyone affected by this serious incident today.” The Education Authority told the BBC that it was providing “critical incident management support to the school.”
“Our critical incident team will be in the school tomorrow to provide emotional support for pupils as required,” a spokesperson said. “Our thoughts go out to all of those impacted by the incident.”

