Close Menu
    What's Hot

    Couple Who Died After Falling Through Ice on Valentine’s Day Had Loved Each Other Since Their Teens

    February 17, 2026

    Caregivers Help Terminally Ill Patient Celebrate Marriage Before Her Death

    February 17, 2026

    Lindsey Vonn Returns Home After Olympic Crash, Finding Strength in Recovery and Support

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Voxtrend NewsVoxtrend News
    Subscribe
    Voxtrend NewsVoxtrend News
    Home»News»Pentagon authorizes up to 600 military lawyers to serve as temporary immigration judges
    News

    Pentagon authorizes up to 600 military lawyers to serve as temporary immigration judges

    Voxtrend NewsBy Voxtrend NewsSeptember 2, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has approved sending up to 600 military lawyers to the Justice Department to serve as temporary immigration judges, according to a memo reviewed by The Associated Press.

    The military will begin sending groups of 150 attorneys — both military and civilians — to the Justice Department “as soon as practicable” and the military services should have the first round of people identified by next week, according to the memo, dated Aug. 27.

    The effort comes as the Trump administration cracks down on immigration across the country, ramping up arrests and deportations. Immigration courts also already are dealing with a massive backlog of roughly 3.5 million cases that has ballooned in recent years.

    However, numerous immigration judges have been fired or left voluntarily after taking deferred resignations offered by the administration, according to their union. The International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, said in July that at least 17 immigration judges had been fired “without cause” in courts across the country.

    That has left about 600 immigration judges, union figures show, meaning the Pentagon move will double their ranks.

    The move is being done at the request of the Justice Department, and the memo noted that the details will initially last no more than 179 days but can be renewable.

    When asked about the move, a DOJ spokesperson referred questions about the plan to the Defense Department. Pentagon officials directed questions to the White House.

    A White House official said Tuesday that the administration is looking at a variety of options to help resolve the significant backlog of immigration cases, including hiring additional immigration judges. The official said the matter should be “a priority that everyone — including those waiting for adjudication — can rally around.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Voxtrend News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Couple Who Died After Falling Through Ice on Valentine’s Day Had Loved Each Other Since Their Teens

    February 17, 2026

    Caregivers Help Terminally Ill Patient Celebrate Marriage Before Her Death

    February 17, 2026

    Lindsey Vonn Returns Home After Olympic Crash, Finding Strength in Recovery and Support

    February 17, 2026

    Burn Patient Marries Fiancé in Miami Hospital as Recovery Continues

    February 16, 2026
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Pinterest
    Editors Picks
    Latest Posts

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest sports news from SportsSite about soccer, football and tennis.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Voxtrend News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo YouTube
    © 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.